- This event has passed.
Fire Dance Iceland – Chief Brett Almond – July 2018
July 27, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - July 29, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
It is with joy and and an open heart that we invite you to the Fire Dance in Skrauthólar, Iceland (about an hour’s drive from Keflavik International Airport in Iceland).
We will be dancing with the Midnight Sun on the sacred land of Linda Stefansdottir and Daniel Hjortur under the mountain Esjan.
This will be the second year of the dance here, and we hope you can come be with us! The Chief is Brett Almond. Brett has been taking part in dance ceremony for nearly 25 years and comes from England. Robbie Warren, the visionary of the Fire Dance, will also be here from the USA.
If you come to the dance you will either be a dancer or a crew member. Typically there might be twice as many crew members as dancers. There are various roles within the crew, and these are listed further down the page. If it is your first time at this dance, then you are welcome to jump right in and dance or are welcome to be on the crew, where you can begin to understand what the dance entails. This dance is open to everyone.
This is a 3 day Ceremony and Crew and Dancers are both required to be fully present from Friday noon to Sunday late afternoon. It is not possible to attend parts of the Ceremony or to come for a little portion of the time.
The coordinator for the Fire Dance is Anna Bjork Arnadottir. Anna can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to book your place, receive further information as it becomes available, or ask any questions please do get in touch.
THE FIRE DANCE
It would be wonderful to have you join us whether you choose to serve on the support crew or as a Dancer. The energy of this Ceremony is amazingly intense as we dance with 5 Fires inside of a Medicine Wheel. Dancers and crew alike will be transformed forever as the spirit of this dance moves through us and fans the fires in our hearts.
This is NOT a traditional Native American Ceremony. This Dance come from a time before the racial and religious barriers of the world existed. The infinite Circle of the Medicine Wheel predates man and we Dance to expand beyond form, dogma and criteria. We Dance to bring the wholeness back to the planet.
The origin of the dance, as told by Robbie Warren: “The Fire Dance was given to me in a vision while I was dancing the Women’s Web of Life Dance in 2009. The maker of the Elemental Dance Shawls, Patti McFee, had a dream that I was to dance the Fire Shawl. She brought it to me during the dance and I put it on and danced with the Grandmothers and the Fire and Spirit. I was told my life would never be the same!
“I was immediately transported to the center of a different arbor. This arbor had 5 fires and I started dancing there. There were Fires in each of the 4 Directions and a Spirit Fire inside the arbor. As I danced there Spirit shared with me the Fire Dance.
“It was 18 months before I spoke of this Vision of a Fire Dance, and another 18 months before I danced it in this reality. The Fire Dance was born 3 years exactly after the Vision. During those 3 years Spirit shed me of the things in my life that no longer served the higher purpose. Within 3 months my relationship of 8 years was over. During the following year I lost my home and a business and my beloved 4 leggeds. The things that do serve my higher good came into my life. My Spirit work, my new life partner, my new home, my new eyes to see the world. My life was completely transformed by the Fire and Spirit. Now I have danced with the Fire and have felt Spirit’s power move through the Fires and through me. All of this was to prepare me to step into the role of Chief of the Fire Dance.”
This Dance will ignite the passion and creativity within you to live your life fully as intended by Spirit. It will burn away the thing inside that blocks you and holds you back. The Firedance is about stepping into life fully and completely and the energy of this dance is incredibly powerful! We dance with 5 fires within a Medicine Wheel. The Spirit Keepers of the Directions are Dancing too! Spirit is Dancing in the Fire. It is tangible!
If you are called and if you are ready, the Fires are waiting………..and will forever be carried in your heart as a Fire Dancer!
Trai Hill: “It is time. Time to let the spark within our hearts grow and spread into a fire. Time to dance through that fire and let it burn away everything that does not serve us. Forged in heart-fire we re-emerge into the world and step fully into ourselves, ready to share the warmth and lead the way. Let’s DANCE!”
LOCATION & ACCOMMODATION
The dance is held at:
Skrautholar 4, 116 Kjalarnes, Iceland
The Fire Dance will be allocating places to sleep during the dance.
Crew rooms are available by reservation (limited beds available).
There is also crew camping available on the grounds. You will need to bring a tent.
Fire Dancers will sleep in the Dance Arbor (bring what you need for personal comfort and sleeping). You will need a tent if dancing. [UPDATE – We will have tents for international dancers and some Icelandic dancers too – you can reserve (no extra charge) when you pay a dancer deposit – more info soon].
A dance of this size takes a community to put it on. We would love to hear from you if you are able to help in any way. We are asking for help from the community in Iceland and from other countries.
Some of the things we would love help with are:
* Helping guests as they arrive from outside Iceland with lifts, advice, a bed for the night etc.
* Helping Linda (at Esjan) with any number of tasks that are needed in preparing Esjan for all the visitors.
* Helping to buy food for the kitchen in advance of the dance.
* Helping to translate documents into Icelandic as needed.
* Helping to prepare the arbor and land in advance of the dance.
* Lending international dancers a tent and bedding for their dance.
* Helping buy supplies for the dance – like cornmeal, sage, tobacco etc.
* Sharing this dance on Facebook or personally inviting others (Click “Share” on this page and then click “Invite Friends” from the drop down), who you think might be interested.
Please do let me know (Brett) at email@example.com if you are able to help in any way.
To dance the donation will be between $425 – $575 (48,000 – 64,000 ISK). We leave it for you to decide what your level of donation will be. As a dancer you will sleep in the arbour, which you will need to bring a tent and whatever you need for your own sleeping comfort.
Crew Donations including food (Friday-Sunday during Dance)….……….….$80 / 9,000 ISK
Bed reservation (limited availability) (Friday-Sunday during Dance)…….…..$85 / 9,500 ISK
Camping on the land (Friday-Sunday during Dance)………………..
All meals will be prepared and served from Thursday dinner thru Sunday lunch
If you are staying for nights outside these two nights there will be an additional charge. (See below).
The latest you can arrive is on the Friday at 12 noon. Dancers and Crew should arrive by Thursday evening if possible though; there is work to do in setting up the space and we would love you to be with us!
The Fire Dance have this venue from Wednesday, 25th November until Tuesday, 31st November. So you are welcome, actually encouraged :), to stay Wednesday, Thursday and the following Monday nights if you wish. There will be an extra payment for the extra nights. ($40 / 4,750 ISK for a bed a night and $10 / 1,150 ISK a night if camping). And outside of the times of the dance we will be catering food for ourselves either individually or as a group.
If you wish to stay outside of the above times you will need to book direct with Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a Fire Ceremony held on the Thursday evening for those wishing to have prayer ceremony before the dance.
Further information will be posted on this page. If you have a question, please feel free to ask it below. And then everyone can benefit from the answer too. And we can add the answer here. And please share this event! Thanks!!
Brett listens to the guidance of Spirit and the Ancestors in making the crew position requests. It is a beautiful and trusting experience.
Crew Positions are as follows:
* Dance Guardians – The Dance Guardians literally guard the energy of the dance. You manage and nurture the outside energy of the dance so that the dancers can feel safe on the inside to do their work. You will rattle, sing, help the dancers settle into their space, carry dancers if needed, watch over the dancers at night, “guard” the dancers between rounds and guide the dancers if they need to leave the arbor. When the dance guardians are working well the dancers feel safe. Please bring a rattle if you can.
* Fire Keepers – Literally tend the individual fires in the arbor, but also hold the spirit of the fire and the energy each fire represents.
* Drummers – The Drum Team drum from their heart. They also sing and keep the rhythm that “carries” the Dancers. They help with night watch too.
* Kitchen Angels – The Kitchen Angels nourish and nurture the crew with their cooking and food. You will prepare food from Friday until the feast on Sunday. You will be a team and you will be at the heart of the dance. And you will basically be worshiped for the work you do!
* Fire Mother – Holds the feminine space inside the Arbor and works directly with the Dancers as they process and Dance.
* Fire Father – Holds the masculine space inside the Arbor and works directly with the Dancers as they process and Dance.
* Wisdom Keepers – The Wisdom Keepers of the Dance sit at the edge of the arbor and hold the space of the ancient ones. They help with night watch too.
* Chief – The Chief is the leader of the dance and Keeper of the Vision. They watch over everything to create a sacred space and sacred ceremony so that the dancers can do whatever work it is they came to do.
All crew will be asked at various points in the dance to help watch over the dancers in breaks and at night.
Brett Almond is from England and has been taking part in dance ceremony since 1993 when he first did a Corn Dance with Joseph Rael (Beautiful Painted Arrow). Since this time he has been dancing, crewing and Chiefing a range of dances.
“I’m delighted to be Chiefing the Iceland Fire Dance in 2018. The Fire Dance takes me back to a very ancient part of myself. Back to the energy of Creation. I look forward to playing my part in creating a sacred and safe space for you. I look forward to welcoming you to this event, that is tribal, loving and exciting!”
Last year, 2017, the dance was very powerful. Dancing on the wild hillside, the “mythical” beings like dragons and fairies dared us to not use the word mythical any more, but to see them as real, in the land of ice and fire. The fire burnt like furnaces, the mountains spoke, and the dancers and crew went on a journey to new places, that when we saw them, we actually realised they were not new, but very ancient.
Also, please be aware there is a Fire Dance in Norway, 2 weekends before this dance from 12-15 July:
Some people are planning to attend both dances. For information on the Norway dance please contact Robbie@OtterDance.com for now.
We would love you to share this event with anyone you feel might be interested. Thank you! 🙂
Look forward to seeing you in Iceland!