- This event has passed.
Djembe Drumming Foundations, Vaughan Harris -Teacher
October 20, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm$120
Foundations of Djembe – 1 Day Workshop – Charlotte NC
Are you interested in honing your Djembe skills or learning some of the basic building blocks of Djembe drumming?
Vaughan Harris, of South Africa, invites you to a One Day Djembe Foundations Workshop at The Spiritual Light Center in Charlotte, NC on 20 October 2018.
Vaughan has been playing and studying Djembe and percussion instruments for 25 years and teaching in Johannesburg, South Africa for the past 17 years. He has shared his knowledge with drummers of all experience levels and has developed a simple and effective teaching style that brings a sense of comfort and calm to the Djembe player.
Drumming is one of the most holistic and therapeutic activities that one can take part in. In addition to the clear physical benefits and enhancing of coordination, drumming also brings one to the present moment, which can assist in the processing of emotional and spiritual blockages. Being in the present, a fleeting place for most people to visit, is deeply healing state of being.
Playing a drum enhances neural development: When we use both hands in an activity then both hemispheres of the brain are exercised, creating increased neural activity and growth of the neural linkages. Drumming is also the easiest way for anyone to play and become part of communal music and the level of joy experienced by the drummers is immeasurable. When drumming together in a group for as little as 15 minutes a palpable energy and mood shift is experienced.
Fee: $120 for the day. Please reserve your space by registering and sending your $60 deposit.
What to expect at this Workshop:
– Djembe hand technique lesson that is focussed on hand protection.
– The 4 Foundation Djembe rhythms and their accompanying rhythms will be taught. These rhythms are considered a spring board to learning almost every other Djembe pattern that exists.
– The sacred approach to drums and drumming.
– Rhythm and percussion activities.
– Hours of laughter and lightness during the sometimes challenging but rewarding learning experience.
What you’ll need for the Workshop:
– A djembe drum, your own or borrowed.
– Liquid refreshments and snacks to keep up your energy levels.